Web 2.0 Tools: Blogging Q and A

Written on October 22, 2008 – 11:26 am | by helmanj

Hopefully some of you have had a chance to “play around” with “blogs”. The first question asked is “What is a blog?” It is basically an online journal that is shared with whomever you wish. The two blog generators I am familiar/comfortable with would be edublogs and blogger.com. They are both easy to use, but edublogs is specifically set up for teachers as it keeps your blog more secure and free of “pop ups”.

Q and A around blogs.

Q. Why Use Blogs in the classroom? Students are very comfortable with online learning. A.They are used to “socializing” on the net. Brain research also indicates that our students brains are physiologically “geared” to learning better with technology.

Q.How can I use blogs in the classroom?
A.Blogs can be used for: posting samples of class work, posting student work for parents, reflection, giving students a chance to discuss and write about their learning experience, students creating an on going portfolio, showcase student artwork, writing and poetry. THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!

Q.Where can I find a good tutorial on how to use a blog?
A. The two sites I suggested actually have online help, however an excellent site with easy to follow sessions is on our school board site. Follow this link to the online tutorial

Q.Who can “walk me through” the process?
A. If you are even a bit apprehensive about signing up, trying it out, please feel free to see me (Jacqueline) in the library. I would be more than happy to get you started. It takes about 20 minutes in total.

Note:Here are some excellent samples of some award winning blogs

1. No Responses to “Web 2.0 Tools: Blogging Q and A”

You must be logged in to post a comment.